1.2014. 15th Impression; 2000 First Edition, Khajuraho, Monumental Legacy, Oxford University Press, New Delhi. Pp. xviii+107. Illustrations 42. Maps 2.
2.2013. Art and Icon, Essays on Early Indian Art, Aryan Books International, New Delhi. pp. xvi + 310, photographs 186, line drawings 21.
3. 1996. The Religious Imagery of Khajuraho, Franco-Indian Research, Mumbai. pp.xxx + 270, photos 224, drawings 18, Map 1.
4. 1985. Erotic Sculpture of India – A Socio-Cultural Study. 2nd Edition, Munshiram Manoharlal, New Delhi. pp. xii + 270, plates 156, figs.26, I Map; first edition by Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., New Delhi, 1975.
5. 2009. Kaladarpana, The Mirror of Indian Art, Essays in Memory of Shri Krishna Deva, Edited jointly with Arundhati Banerji, Aryan Books International, New Delhi.
6-16. Edited Books under Monumental Legacy Series on World Heritage Sites in India for Oxford University Press, New Delhi. Twelve books published in 2000-2010: Khajuraho, Hampi, Ellora, Sanchi, Pattadakal, Churches of Goa, Qutub Minar and its Monuments, Konarak, Bodhgaya, Ajanta, Mahabalipuram, Taj Mahal
17. 1985. Pandit Bhagvanlal Indraji Memorial Volume. Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay.
ARTICLES IN BOOKS AND JOURNALS
- “Sage Markandeya and the Divine Child in the 17th Century Illustrated Manuscripts” published in the CSMVS Research Journal, No. 2, 2017. Dr. Desai pg 42-53 in CSMVS Journal no 2
- Under publication, “The Ramayana Episode Sapta-tala-bhedana in Indian culpture”, for Dr. A. P. Jamkhedkar Felicitation Volume, Pune.
- Under publication, “Salabhanjika”, in Kalatattvakosa, Vol. VIII, Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, Varanasi.
- 2016. “Vatapatrasayi: Lord of the Banyan leaf in Temple Sculpture”, in Temple Architecture and Imagery of South and Southeast Asia. Prasadanidhi: Papers Presented to Professor M.A. Dhaky, edited by Parul Pandya Dhar and Gerd J.R. Mevissen, Delhi: Aryan Books International.22_devangana-desai-3
- 2014. “Khajuraho Masterworks – Images and Imageries”, in a Volume On Creativity in Indian Art, Ed. R. N. Misra, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla.
- For publication, “Art and Architecture: Central India – Candellas of Jejakabhukti”, in Encyclopaedia of Indian Art and Architecture, Ed. M. A. Dhaky, Indian Council of Philosophical Research, New Delhi.
- 2013. Presidential Address for Indian Art History Congress entitled Art and Literature – A Dialogue.
- 2013. “The Lord on the Leaf”, in Themes, Histories, Interpretations, Indian Painting, Essays in Honour of B. N. Goswamy, Ed. Mahesh Sharma and Padma Kaimal, Mapin Publishing, Osianama.com, Ahmedabad. desai-2014-vatashayi
- 2013. “The goddess Hinghalaja of the Yogini Temple at Khajuraho”, in‘Yogini’ in South Asia, Ed. Istavan Keul, Routledge, London and New York. article-on-the-goddess-hingalaja
- 2013. “Rksamata – The Bear-Faced Yogini from Khajuraho”, in Bilvapatra, Treasures of Indian Art, Dr. N. P. Joshi Felicitation Volume, Research India Press, Varanasi. desai-2013-bilvapatra
- 2012-2013. “The Inscribed Label “Sharju” on Khajuraho Sculptures – Is it a Sculptor’s Name?”, Kala, The Journal of Indian Art History Congress, Vol. XVIII. inscribed-label-sharjuh-on-khahuraho-sculptures
- 2011. “Auspicious Female Figures in Art, Salabhanjikas and Surasundaris, Heras Memorial Lectures”, Indica, Vol. 48, Mumbai.
- 2010. “The Temple in its Cosmic Dimensions”, Philosophy of Aesthetics, Somaiya Publications, Mumbai.
- 2010. “Textual Tradition and the Temples of Khajuraho”, in Archaeology and Text, The Temple in South Asia, Ed. Himanshu P. Ray, Oxford University Press, New Delhi. 03_chap-031-2
- 2009.“Kurma Imagery in Indian Art and Culture”, Artibus Asiae, Vol. LXIX, No.2. desai_26021 desai_lay_11021pls
- 2009. “The Chandella Hari-Hara in the British Museum”, Kaladarpana, Essays in Memory of Shri Krishna Deva, Ed. Devangana Desai and Arundhati Banerji, Aryan Books International, New Delhi. hari-hara-article-in-kaladarpana
- 2009. “The Kashmir Connection of the Vaikuntha Image of Khajuraho”, in Prajnadhara : Essays on Asian Art History Epigraphy and Culture in honour of Gouriswar Bhattacharya, Ed. Gerd J R Mevissen and Arundhati Banerji, Kaveri Books, New Delhi.
- 2008. “Kurma Symbolism in Indian Art and Myth”, Tattvabodha, National Mission for Manuscripts, New Delhi.
- 2007. “A Remarkable Siva Image-Linga from Mathura Discovered by Bhagwanlal Indraji”, Marg, Vol. 58, No. 4, Mumbai.
- 2006. “Conventional and New Approaches to Art History in India”, in 21st Century Art History: Global Reception, the Association of Art Historians, Art Design Media centre, The Higher Education Academy, UK.
- 2006. “The Intention behind Surasundaris: the ‘Beautiful Celestials’ of Temple Art”, in Tejas, Eternal Energy, 1500 Years of Indian Art, Catalogue of Exhibition for Festival of India in Brussels, Ed. Ranesh Ray and Jan Van Alphen, Bozar Books. Centre of Fine Arts, Brussels.
- 2006. “Khajuraho: Makers, Play and Cosmic Model”, in Tejas, Eternal Energy, 1500 Years of Indian Art, Catalogue of Exhibition for Festival of India in Brussels. Ed. Ranesh Ray and Jan Van Alphen, Bozar Books. Centre of Fine Arts, Brussels
- 2006. “The Goddess Hinghalaja at Khajuraho”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Mumbai, 80/2005-2006.
- 2005. “Relevance of Textual Sources in the Study of Temple Art”, Samarasya, Studies in Indian Arts, Philosophy and Interreligious Dialogue, Bettina Bäumer Felicitation Volume, Ed. Sadananda Das and Ernst Fürlinger. D. K. Printworld, New Delhi.
- 2005. “Kurma, the Support of Cosmic Axis, in Gods Beyond Temples, Conceived and Edited by Harsha Dehejia. Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, Delhi.
- 2004. “An Inscribed Buddha Image at Khajuraho”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Mumbai, 79/2004.
- 2004. “The Manifestation of Order in Art – The Iconic Scheme at Khajuraho”, in Rta, The Cosmic Order, Ed. Madhu Khanna, the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts and D. K. Printworld, New Delhi.
- 2004. “Two Inscribed Kurma Satakas Attributed to Paramara King Bhojadeva”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Mumbai, 77-78/2002-2003.
- 2004. “The Newly Excavated Bijamandala (Vaidyanatha) Temple at Khajuraho”, in The Ananda-Vana of Indian Art, Dr. Ananda Krishna Felicitation Volume. Ed. Naval Krishna and Manu Krishna, Indica Books and Abhidha Prakashan, Varanasi.
- 2004. “Who Brought the Khajuraho Apsaras to the Asiatic Society?”, Lalit Kala, Vol. 29, New Delhi. lk-who-brought-khajuraho-apsaras-to
- 2003. Introduction to Kurmasatakadvayam, Two Prakrit Poems on Tortoise inscribed by the Paramara King Bhojadeva at Dhara, translation in English and Glossary by V. M.Kulkarni, L. D. Institute of Indology, Ahmedabad.
- 2003. “Sunya in the Context of Temple Art”, in The Concept of Sunya, Ed. A. K. Bag and S. R. Sarma, published by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, Indian National Science Academy, and Aryan Books International, New Delhi.
- 2003. “Surasundaris: Celestial Beauties in Temple Art”, in Saundarya, The Perception and Practice of Beauty in India. Ed. Harsha V. Dehejia, Makarand Paranjpe, Samvad India Foundation, New Delhi.
- 2003. “The Mango Tree in Indian Art”, Vanashobha, National Society of the Friends of the Trees, Mumbai.
- 2001. “Inscribed Site Labels on Khajuraho Sculptures”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay, 76.
- 2000. Significance of the New Find at Khajuraho. Grahapati Kokkala’s Vaidyanatha temple? Marg, 51(3).
- 2000. “Earlier Names of the Khajuraho Temples”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay, 75.
- 2000. “Cryptic Missives from the Gods”, Art India, 5 (3, July).
- 2000. “Art and Eroticism: Going beyond the Erotic at Khajuraho”, in Indian Art: Forms, Concerns and Development in Historical Perspective, Ed. B. N. Goswamy and K. Singh, Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers, New Delhi.
- 1999. “Yogini Worship”, Taj Magazine, 28 (2, July).
- 1999. “A Rare Sculpture of Sage Agastya at Khajuraho”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay, 74.
- 1998. “The Date of Dhangadeva’s Visvanatha (Marakatesvara) Temple Inscription of Khajuraho”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay, 73.
- 1997. “An Unpublished Visvarupa Sculpture in the Khajuraho Museum”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay, 72 (New Series).
- 1997. “Depiction of the Sveta-Dvipa Devotees of Narayana at Khajuraho”, Lalit Kala, Vol. 28.
- 1996. “The Structure of Time in the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple of Khajuraho”, in Concepts of Time, Ancient and Modern, Ed. K. Vatsyayan, Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi.
- 1996. “Prevalence of Saiva Siddhanta at Khajuraho”, in Society and Ideology in India, Prof. R. S. Sharma Felicitation volume, Ed. D. N. Jha, Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers, Delhi.
- 1995. “Temple as an Ordered Whole – the Iconic Scheme at Khajuraho”, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay, Fifth Smt. Nabadurga Banerjee Endowment Lecture.
- 1995. “Hayagriva at Khajuraho”, in Silpasamvit, Studies in Jaina Art and Iconography and Allied Subjects, Volume in memory of Dr. U. P. Shah, Ed. R. T. Vyas, Oriental Institute, Vadodara, and Abhinav Publications, New Delhi.
- 1994. “Krsna-Lila in Temple Art of Khajuraho”, in Art, the Integral Vision, a volume of essays in Felicitation of Kapila Vatsyayan. Ed. B. N. Saraswati, S. C. Malik, Madhu Khanna, D. K. Printworld, New Delhi.
- 1994. “The Folk Base of Indian Sculpture”, in Dr. H. G. Shastri Felicitation volume Ed. P.C. Parikh, Bharati Shelat, Thomas Parmar, Published by Dr. H.G. Shastri FelicitatioVolume Committee, Ahmedabad [Original Paper read in the Seminar on “Coomaraswamy and After” convened by the Punjab University Chandigarh, Nov. 7-10, 1978.]
- 1994. “Erotic Motifs in Rashtrakuta Art”, in The Rashtrakutas of Malkhed, Ed. B. R. Gopal, published on behalf of the Mythic Society, Bangalore, by Geetha Book House Publishers, Mysore [Original Paper read in the Seminar on Rashtrakutas, convened by the Mythic Society, Bangalore, January 1977.]
- 1994. “The Date of the Vaikuntha Image of the Lakshmana Temple, Khajuraho”, in Khajuraho in Perspective, Ed. K.K. Chakravarti, M.N. P. Tiwari, Kamal Giri, published by Madhya Pradesh Madhyam, Bhopal, for Commissioner of Archaeolgy and Museums, Madhya Pradesh, Bhopal. Original Paper presented at the “Art of Khajuraho”, UGC National Seminar convened by History of Art Department, BHU, at Khajuraho, February 1987.
- 1993. “Hayagriva in the Vaikuntha Pantheon of Khajuraho”, in Vishnu in Art, Thought And Literature, Ed. G. Kamalakar, Birla Archaeological and Cultural Research Institute, Hyderabad.
- 1992. “The Patronage of the Lakshmana Temple at Khajuraho”, in The Powers of Art, Ed. Barbara S. Miller, Oxford University Press, New Delhi . Original paper presented at the Festival of India Seminar, “Patronage in Indian Culture”, held at the National Communities Center, North Carolina, U.S.A., Oct. 1985.
- 1992. “Man and the Temple: Architectural and Sculptural Imagery of the Kandariya Mahadeva temple of Khajuraho”, in Eastern Approaches, Ed. T. S. Maxwell. Oxford University Press, London. Original Paper presented at the “Destiny of Man” Seminar, organized by the South Asian Religious Art Studies and the Art Council of Britain, April 29-30, 1982, London.
- 1992. “Erotics and Literature in India”, Encyclopaedia of Indian Literature, Vol. I., Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1990. “Social Dimensions of Art in Early India”, Social Scientist. Presidential Address, Ancient India, Indian History Congress, 50th Session, Gorakhpur University, 30th Dec.1989.
- 1990. “Karttikeya as Brahmasasta at Khajuraho”, in Archaeology and Art, the Felicitation volume in honour of Shri Krishna Deva, K. P. Jaiswal Institute, Patna.
- 1989. “Votive Tanks”, Ed. A. Ghosh, Encyclopaedia of Indian Archaeology, Vol. I, Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi.
- 1989. “Terracotta Figurines: Human, Animal”, Ed. A. Ghosh, Encyclopaedia of Indian Archaeology, Vol. I, Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi.
- 1989. “Sex-symbols”, Ed. A. Ghosh, Encyclopaedia Indian Archaeology, Vol. I, Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi.
- 1989. “Mother goddess”, Ed. A. Ghosh. Encyclopaedia of Indian Archaeology, Vol. I, Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi.
- 1989. “Sopara Bronzes: Seven Buddhas and Maitreya”, in Buddhist Iconography. Original paper presented at International Seminar on Buddhist Iconography, Tibet House, New Delhi, March- 2nd April, 1984. Published by Tibet House, New Delhi.
- 1989. “Sadasiva Chatuspada Images of Khajuraho”, in Puratan, 6, Directorate of State Archaeology and Museums, M.P., Bhopal.
- 1989. “The Location of Sculptures in the Architectural Scheme of the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple: Sastra and Practice”, in Shastric Traditions in Indian Arts, Ed. A. L. Dallapiccola. Steiner Verlag Wiesbaden GMBH, Stuttgart.
- 1988 “Lord of Kalanjara and his Shrine of the Emerald Linga: Eleventh century Khajuraho”, in Royal Patrons and Great Temple Art, Ed. Vidya. Dehejia, Marg Publications, Bombay.
- 1987. “Vaikuntha as Daityari at Khajuraho”, in Seminar Volume on Vaishnavism in the Indian Arts and Culture, Fine Arts Faculty, M. S. University of Baroda, Baroda.
- 1987. “Puns and Intentional Language at Khajuraho”, in Kusumanjali, Commemoration Volume of Sri C. Sivaramamurti, Ed. M. S. Nagaraja Rao, Agam Kala Prakashan, Delhi.
- 1987. “Goddesses in Clay – the Ritual Art of the Indian People”, in India, Specially published for the Festival of India in the USSR.
- 1987. “Art under Feudalism in India (c. A.D. 500-1300)”, in Social Formation in Early India, Ed. D. N. Jha.New Delhi
- 1986. “The Vaikuntha Temple at Khajuraho – Placement of Images”, in Dimensions of , Indian art, Felicitation volume in honour of Mrs. Pupul Jayakar, Ed. Lokesh Chandra, Jyotindra Jain in cooperation with Agam Prasad, Agam Kala Prakashan, New Delhi.
- 1986. “Terracotta Dancing Girls”, Marg, XXXVII, 2 (Hind and Hellas).
- 1986. “The Social Milieu of Ancient Indian Terracottas, 600 B.C. – 600 A.D”, in From Indian Earth, 4000 years of Terracotta Art, Catalogue of the India Exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum, Ed. A. G. Poster, The Brooklyn Museum, New York.
- 1986. “Pre-Maurya Terracottas of the Ganga Valley and Doab (c.600-320 B.C.)”, in Dr. O. C. Gangoly Commemoration Volume, Rupanjali. Ed. Kalyan Kumar Ganguli, S. S. Biswas, published by O. C. Gangoly Memorial Society, Calcutta
- 1985. “Sopara, Pandit Bhagvanlal Indraji and After”, Pandit Bhagvanlal Indraji Memorial Volume. Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay.
- 1984. “Shades of Eroticism in Temple Art”, in Symbols and Manifestations in Indian Art, Ed. Saryu Doshi, Marg Publications, Bombay.
- 1984. “Reflections on Coomaraswamy’s Approach to Indian Art”, Paroksa, Ed. Gulam mohammed Sheikh, K. G. Subramanian, Kapila Vatsyayan. Published by Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi. [Paper presented at the Coomaraswamy Centenary Seminar, Vigyan Bhavan, convened by the Lalit Kala Akademi , New Delhi, December 1977.]
- 1984. “Placement and Significance of Erotic Sculptures at Khajuraho”, in Discourses on Siva, Ed. M. W. Meister, Vakil, Feffer & Simons Ltd., Bombay. Original paper presented at the “Discourses on Siva” Symposium at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, April 28 – May 1, 1981.
- 1984. “Narration of the Ramayana Episode Vali-vadha in Indian sculpture – up to A.D. 1300”, in Indian Studies, Essays in Memory of Prof. Niharranjan Ray, Ed. Amita Ray, H. Sanyal, S.C. Ray, Caxton Publications, Delhi.
- 1983. “Terracottas and Urban Culture of Ancient India (circa 600 B.C.– A.D. 600)”, in Proceedings of the Indian History Congress, 1976. Also in Bulletin of the National Museum, Vol. 4, 5, 6. New Delhi. Original Paper read in the Symposium on “Art and Society”, Indian History Congress, December 1976, Calicut.
- 1983. “Mother Goddess and her Partner”, in Aruna Bharati, Felicitation volume in honour of Prof. A. N. Jani, Ed. Oriental Research Institute, Baroda. Original Paper read in the Second Symposium of the International Association of Prehistoric and Ethnographic Religions, Calcutta, January 1976.
- 1983. “Ancient Monuments in and around Bombay”, Bhavan’s Journal, 30 (7, November). Original, Indian History Congress Souvenir, Bombay Session, 1980.
- 1982. “Sculptural Representation on the Lakshmana Temple of Khajuraho in the Light of Prabodhachandrodaya”, Journal of the National Centre for the Performing Arts, XI (3-4).
- 1981. “Relevance of Tantrism to Erotic Temple Sculpture”, in Madhu: Recent Researches in Indian Archaeology and Art History Felicitation volume in honour of Dr. M. N. Deshpande, Ed. M. S. Nagaraja Rao, Agam Kala Prakashan, New Delhi.
- 1980. “Dancing Ganesa”, Pushpanjali, An Annual of Indian Arts and Culture, Vol. IV, Ed. A. Kanoria and M. L. Bhuvania, Published by M. L. Bhuvania, Bombay.
- 1979. “Studies in Indian Terracotta Art (up to A.D. 800) – Trends and Prospects”, in Proceedings of Workshop in History of Art, 1977, University Grants Commission, Baroda.
- 1978. “Social Background of Ancient Indian Terracottas (circa 600 B.C. – A.D. 600)”, in History and Society, Essays in honour of Prof. Niharranjan Ray, Ed. Debiprasad Chattopadhyaya, K. P. Bagchi & Company, Calcutta.
- 1974. “Art under Feudalism in India (circa A.D. 500-1300)”, Indian Historical Review, I (1).
- 1973-74. “Note on a Terracotta Figurine in the Baroda Museum”, Bulletin of the Museum and Picture Gallery, Baroda, XXV.
- 1972-73. “Some Rare Sculptures Depicting Offering of Hair and Maithuna”,Journal of the Indian Society of Oriental Art, New Series, V (Part II). Dr. V. S. Agrawala Commemoration Volume.